For Christmas, my best friend CG gave me a sort-of journal, titled “A Sentence a Day”. As the title suggests, it has daily prompts for journaling your year (designed to show two years’ worth of entries so you can look back and see how you changed or stayed the same over that period) and encourage self-reflection. It’s really a book for younger people (I discovered this on one page as the prompt for the day was “What did you do at school today?) but I’ve been happily filling in the pages and have enjoyed having that extra “push” to prompt me into writing. I’ve been a bit hopeless lately (as would be obvious by the lack of blogging I have done over the last month or so) and so it’s been helpful having the little book to look forward to each day.
So, because I am literally out of ideas this week, and because my house is spotlessly clean and tidy (miracle of miracles!) – I don’t want to mess it up, not even for crafting! – I’m going to take a few of the prompts from the book and write my responses here. Feel free to do the same on your blog (if you have one) or in your diary or wherever. It’s cheating, ever so slightly, but I am completely inspiration-less this week. I hope my mojo comes back soon, otherwise I’m in trouble.
So here goes – I’m just going to flick through the pages and choose random prompts…
- How do you feel about speaking in front of people? Horrible! Petrified, self-conscious and suddenly devoid of all thought and intelligence!
- Who is the funniest person you know? Definitely my brother 🙂
- What’s your favourite sea creature? Can I say a mermaid? 🙂 I think seahorses are amazing and beautiful but I also love whales, dolphins, seals and stingrays. Ooh, and those creepy Vampire Squids! They’re awesome!
- Do you have any bad habits? God, where do I start?! I chew my fingers and pick at them. It’s disgusting. I’m a teeth-grinder and a tongue-sucker (in my sleep). Various unladylike habits. All anxiety related, but bad habits nevertheless. I used to suck my thumb when I was a child. Then I got braces and couldn’t do it any more!
- What is unforgivable? Child abuse and abuse of animals.
- What was the last time you saw a movie at the cinema? What was it? Last night! I saw “St Vincent” with my work friend CI. Excellent movie, great evening. We had dinner out (no dessert – good girls!) and chatted and enjoyed a great movie starring the amazing Bill Murray. He’s a favourite of mine.
- What’s your favourite flower? Violets, obviously! 🙂
- Describe how your house is decorated : My home has no definite style. I am a bit schizophrenic in my decorating tastes. I like bright colours but then I also like white and shabby-chic. So I have a bit of everything. I’m only renting so I can’t paint walls or do to much to the house in terms of decorating or changing any structures. I like to have “pockets” of themes or colour palettes. Each of my bookshelves has a different “vibe” going on.
- What do you like most about your own personality? I think I’m quite kind. I try to be anyway.
- What does your dream house look like? Cute. I’ve always wanted a cute little house with a white picket fence, a pretty garden, and a warm and welcoming feel to it. I’d like a porch with a rocking chair on it. I’d like to be near the ocean and have room for animals. I’d like an upstairs section (even if it’s just one little room) and a pretty guest room so visitors could stay the night.
- Describe your hairstyle : Slightly mental and uncooperative. I have thick, unruly hair which I have grown to be grateful for. I don’t try and tame it these days – it does its own thing and I do mine. We agree to meet somewhere in the middle 🙂
I have promised myself I will get better at blogging this year, so hopefully won’t need the little book to help me too many times throughout the coming months. I’m enjoying my nice tidy home right now and so I am trying to hold of from doing anything crafty or mess-making. I’m not very good at relaxing and doing nothing so I am finding it hard to know what to do if I’m not busy being busy. I’ve even considered doing some ironing today which just shows I am getting desperate!
Hope your New Year is going well and shaping up to be the best year yet. There is so much uncertainty and fear in the world right now – I can only hope that your own little corner is peaceful and happy.
Thanks for dropping by x