Op-shopping (thrifting), as I have said many times before, is one of my favourite things to do. Probably THE favourite thing to do, if I’m honest. I love the element of surprise, of never knowing what you’re going to find. I have learnt not to actually go in seeking a particular thing, because I won’t find it. It’s more of a treasure hunt – and sometimes you don’t find any treasure. Which can really suck 🙂
Recently, on my birthday week, when I had some time off work, I did a bit of solitary op-shopping. I had nothing to do and nowhere to be except in the rows of second hand goodness. The weather last week was dreadful – it’s the middle of Summer and it has been cold and rainy and blah. Which is probably the best kind of weather for trying on clothes because you don’t get hot and sweaty and cranky.
I have recently put on quite a bit of weight which, aside from being really upsetting and depressing, means that a lot of my clothes don’t fit me. Ugh. Is there anything more blues-inducing than trying to squeeze into a skirt that USED to be baggy on you but now makes you look like an overstuffed sausage? No, there is not.
So, I needed to buy a few more items of clothing that would a.) fit me and b.) be suitable for the weird weather we are having. Longer sleeves were the order of the day, because it’s too cool for short ones, and my arms are hideous. That’s right, I said it – HIDEOUS. They should be hidden away in case they scare someone with their white flabbiness. There should actually be a law against my arms – seriously. They could incite people to revolt.
Anyway, I went op-shopping. I found a really nice shop that I hadn’t been to before and it had a great selection of clothes – so much so that I found myself with a basketful just from the first rack. Reasonably priced and in my size – what could be better?
So here’s what I got :
- Nice, lightweight top for Summer days. Beachy and bingo-wing covering!
2. Cute little jacket that is still cool enough for Summer, or I could even
wear it as a top – it’s a blousey sort of material.
3. Super-soft checked shirt. I don’t normally get these because I can never find one that looks ok on me. But this one fits perfectly, is SO SOFT and I loved the blue tones. It’s good as a cover-up over a t-shirt, or on its own. I channel Madonna in her “Don’t Tell Me” video when I am wearing it. Don’t judge me.
4. Was lucky to find this lovely Review top. It probably retailed for at least $100 originally, and I got it for $7. Can’t beat that! A good one for work.
5. At $10.25, this was perhaps a tad more expensive than I would normally go for in an op-shop. But it was so pretty, and just what I need for my craft room to organise my paintbrushes, pens, papers etc.
6. I found this teeny-weeny religious thingy for only 50c. It’s about the size of two postage stamps. So dinky! I am going to cover it and collage over it and make it completely non-religious, but hey if it has some built-in blessings or divine protection, I won’t argue! I wish I had been able to find more, so will have to be on the lookout for them. I guess maybe they are a little travel thingy so you can take your faith with you or something? Whatever, it’s cute.
7. I snagged this cushion cover for a dollar. Although it does have a store label on it, it is obviously handmade which neat, little stitches and imperfections. It is very large so will actually make a nice table mat or it could hang on the back of my couch. I liked the colours and the slightly rustic quality it has.
8. Shoes! I have wanted a pair of these chunky heels for ages but have never been able to find exactly the right pair. So I got these. They’re a tiny bit small so I might need to stretch them out just slightly. I got them for $5. I am a mega klutzoid so I need chunky heels if I am going to wear heels at all. Otherwise there is falling down and general embarrassment and humiliation.
So, a good day, and I have already worn a couple of the items which shows they were worthwhile purchases. I Especially like the checked shirt – I think I will be snuggling up a lot in that in the Autumn months. And pretending I am Madonna. When she was still cool and making good music and not gadding about in leotards and pretending she’s 25.
Hope you are having a happy day 🙂