It was my birthday this week. I turned the big 4-2. Forty Two years old. Eeks! How did that happen? I don’t know where the last four decades went. I sometimes think I will wake up one day and it has all been a dream and I am still only ten or twelve (about the age my emotional maturity peaked). So much has happened, and yet I still feel like I have no idea what in the heck is going on most of the time.
I know some stuff. But I feel that I know only a portion of the things I should know by now. I just hope I get at least another 42 years to figure it all out. Otherwise I am going to feel pretty dumb at the Pearly Gates if they ask me any questions about life. Or geography. Or algebra. Or anything to do with vocation – figuring that stuff out is really tricky.
What I Know Now (as of this minute)
- Facebook is not real life.
- It doesn’t matter if there is a God or Heaven or any of that stuff. What matters is whether or not YOU believe it. It’s nobody else’s business. Believe if you like, if it makes you feel better. If you’re wrong, you’re not going to find out anyway, so believe all you want now. I personally choose to believe in an afterlife because I have grandparents and friends and furry family members I want to see again. It’s that simple, and it gives me comfort. But I’m not going to shove my ideas down anyone else’s throat. If I want to believe that God looks like Jimmy Stewart or Emma Thompson – that’s my business.
- You can always make a fool of yourself at any age – you’re not immune just because you’ve stacked on a few years.
- It is far, far better to be alone than with someone who makes you feel crummy.
- You will never, ever understand boys. Stop trying.
- Diets DO always begin tomorrow. It’s a fact.
- If you don’t understand how to style your hair by the time you’re 20, you should give up. I’m serious. The hair has won.
- There is no substitute for chocolate.
- Or cheese.
- Dogs are better at living than we are.
- Cats have it pretty down-pat too.
- Beetroot juice is like wine for people who can’t have/don’t like wine. It is amazeballs. And so pretty.
- Your family may be nuts, but they’re YOURS.
- The internet is not your friend.
- No matter how old you are, you will occasionally benefit from a good, swift kick in the pants.
- You will eventually get over the whole shaving-your-legs-every-day thing.
- You don’t have to have children of your own to know what maternal/paternal love is.
- Sometimes people just suck. Most of the time they’re pretty nice though.
- Cynicism is a waste of everyone’s time.
- You shouldn’t let anyone tell you how big or small your dreams and ambitions should be. Only you know what you need and what you want to share with the world.
- Reality TV is anything but.
- You should never be ashamed of your emotions. They are the only true thing we own.
- Your heart will get broken. The cracks won’t ever heal, but they will be filled with better, sweeter stuff like forgiveness, compassion, knowledge and personal evolution. The hurt will be like your own private work of art. Your Kintsugi.
- Books will expand your mind and your spirit, and will be amongst the greatest friends you will ever have.
- Love is all that matters. Always.
So, I know some stuff. That’s enough for now 🙂