As I have stated before, I am a bad vegetarian. For 90% of the time, I eat a vegetarian diet. But then for the other 10%, all hell breaks loose and I eat fish. I don’t feel good about it and I don’t make any excuses for it, other than the fact I have a really restrictive renal diet and so can’t eat all the proteins a vego would normally have in large quantities eg chickpeas, lentils, baked beans, nuts etc.
So I eat fish sometimes. Which makes me a pescatarian I suppose. Sorry, fishies.
Which brings us to today’s recipe, Tuna Loaf. Not the most appetising of titles, I agree, but the proof is in the pudding, right? Or, in this case, the loaf. Tuna Pudding sounds even more gross, so let’s stick with loaf. It’s an easy-to-make, cheap and delicious dish that tastes just as nice cold the next day. It’s got a lovely, slightly crispy outer edge and it’s soft and moist in the centre. The little pieces of gherkin add extra crunch and sweetness. You can also make it with tinned salmon, which is really yummy (but I can’t have salmon so I have to stick to it’s poorer cousin, the humble tuna). Try and always buy the sustainably fished tuna if you can. Make up for some of that pesky pescatarian guilt!
425g tin of tuna in springwater, drained
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
5 spring onions, chopped fairly finely
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons tomato sauce plus extra for glazing
1/2 cup chopped gherkins
Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees C.
Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
Mix all ingredients together.
Press into the tin and press down with a fork. Squirt or brush some tomato sauce over the top – in a fancy pattern or just haphazardly, I won’t judge.
Bake for approx 35- 40 minutes until top is golden and loaf feels firm.
Cut in to slices to serve.
If you’re smart, you will argue for the end piece because it is crunchier and tastier and just the best bit. You made it, you get first dibs. It’s like a law or something.
Enjoy with a side salad or whatever vegies you like. As I said, it’s nice cold too, and perfect for lunchboxes as it holds its shape quite well.
Hope you enjoy 🙂
PS Yes, that is a ‘Moby Dick” plate in the photo.