Hello hello! I discovered this recipe from Taste of Home.com (original credit goes to Etta Soucy of Mesa, Arizona) whilst looking for something yummy to make for a morning tea with my cousin. She is an EXCELLENT cook so I wasn’t going to try anything too fancy that would demonstrate how un-excellent I am in comparison to her. This slice was very simple, tasted delicious (my cousin took the remainder home to share with her family), and didn’t require a lot of mucking about. I am lazy when it comes to cooking – I don’t want lots of complicated steps or procedures, or weird ingredients NO ONE has in their kitchen cupboards. I don’t want to have to do a three hour shopping trip just so I can bake something for dessert.
Anyway, this recipe is super easy and pretty fool-proof (I’m a fool and the recipe worked, so there’s your proof, ha ha). It’s nice and zingy with plenty of lemon flavour.
Easy Lemon Bars
1 cup plain flour
115g butter, softened
1/4 cup icing sugar
For Filling / Top
1 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
- For the base : Rub butter into the flour and icing sugar, until you reach a crumb stage.
- Press the crumb mixture into a 20cm square cake tin, lined with baking paper. Press down with a fork – make sure mixture goes all the way to the edges.
- Bake at 180 C for about 20 minutes. Don’t allow it to brown – it should be just cooked.
- For the filling : In a food processor (or, alternatively, use a whisk), beat the remaining ingredients together until smooth and well combined.
- Pour filling over prepared base, and continue to bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 C.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares and dusting
with icing sugar.
Best kept in the fridge if weather is warm. The base is basically like shortbread, but the centre becomes gooey if allowed to get warm. Not that gooey is a bad thing, mind you 🙂
Hope you give these a try – they really are very quick and easy to make and VERY yummy. My cousin and her kids approved 🙂
Thanks for stopping by x