“Create a short story, piece of memoir, or epic poem that is 26 sentences long, in which the first sentence begins with “A” and each sentence thereafter begins with the next letter of the alphabet…”
Creating a sense of calm
Deflecting the hurt
Easing the ache
Forever hiding from harm
Intending to raise the alarm
Leading with open arms
Openly lying to charm
Relying on wit to disarm
Speaking no judgment
Traitor to none
Untruth sung out like a psalm
Wallows in self
X marks the spot
Youth remembered as balm
Zoo-like, her heart is caged. Wild and shackled. Free, yet tethered. Beloved but forgotten.
Waiting for extinction, or release. Whichever happens first.
So, lately I have been using a lot of blog prompts to help me get rid of some writer’s block (otherwise known as “My life is boring and I have nothing to write about”…) and I have found them very helpful. Sometimes you just need a bit of a push in the right direction. Or any direction. More of a shove and a couple of slaps, really.
So I thought “Why not come up with some of my own, to help other people? And hey, also create a blog post at the same time?” Two birds, one stone, that sort of thing. So here goes – just a few suggestions I thought might help get you started if you’re stuck for ideas. I might end up using some of them myself at a later date. Is that bad blogging etiquette? To use your own blog prompts? Is it cheating? I’m not sure…you can let me know.
Anyway, here goes :
- Write a post about your favourite outfit, why you like it and how it makes you feel.
- Tell us your favourite joke.
- If you could be doing anything right now, this very minute, what would it be?
- List your favourite songs of all time.
- List your worst songs of all time.
- If you could create your own brand of cheese, what would it be called? How would you market it? What would it taste like?
- You’re a mad scientist and you’ve been given funding to make a hybrid animal. Ethics and morality aside, what two (or more) species do you want to combine? What will the finished creatures be called? Will it benefit or disadvantage humanity?
- If you could visit any period in time (without changing history or affecting lives/futures), which would it be? Would you like to see dinosaurs or hang out with flappers in the 1920s?
- Write a post about the child you once were and how he/she differs from the person you are today.
- Write your obituary!
- Find some old school reports (if you still have them) and comment on what you read. Were you a “conscientious student”? Were you “easily distracted”, “popular with peers” or constantly visiting the principal’s office?
- Tell us your favourite, fool-proof recipe.
- If you could choose another name for yourself, what would it be?
- It’s 1985. What are you doing? Who are you with? (If you weren’t born yet, describe what your parents were doing).
- Write a post about your crush (or crushes) in high-school.
- Tell us your biggest fear.
- Write a song about cupcakes.
- Go outside and take 10 photos of random objects, close up and from interesting angles. Write about these miniature worlds.
- Write about your dream job. It can be something made up.
- Write about a job you could never imagine yourself doing. Why would you be bad at it? Why would it be bad for you?
- Tell us your worst traits and your best. Be honest.
- Write an entire post from the perspective of your right ear.
- You’ve won $10 million. You’re not allowed to spend any of it on yourself. What do you do with it?
- You’ve won $10 million. You’re only allowed to spend it on yourself. What do you do with it?
- A movie is being made about you and your life. Who do you want to write the screenplay? Which actor would you like to play you? Who will play your family and friends? Extra points : what is the moral/theme of the movie (besides being about you!)?
Just a few suggestions for you. Hope they were helpful 🙂