Happy ANZAC Day everyone 🙂
Forgot to include this card with my last post. It was one I made very quickly at the end of my group crafting day. My friend had bought an old Japanese book from an op-shop, with the thought of using the text on cards and other projects. She shared the pages with us, and I created this card with some other Japenese-y papers I had luckily brought with me. Actually, they were from years ago when I was on the Design Team for a scrapbooking store. I hadn’t used these papers since then, but they went well with the text as a backing paper. I liked the addition of the vintage bird too (when do I NOT like adding a bird?). As I didn’t have all my supplies with me, it’s not finished as well as I would like, but it’s ok and a quick and simple little design that ended my day on a satisfied note.
Hope you are having a productive day 🙂
PS I am dedicating this to the late, great Prince, who we tragically lost this week. RIP x
Spent the afternoon making some cute little cards. I wanted to make some super quick and easily – these fit the bill. I used the Yuki range of papers (actually, just the one sheet was used for most of the “frame” cards – the “Hall of Frame” sheet) from Prima Marketing and the Kokeshi range, designed by Samantha Walker from Creative Imaginations (who have now changed their name to “Splash of Colour” by the time I post this, just to confuse you!). The “Hall of Frame” sheet I actually got for Christmas (thanks, Mum!) and loved the sweet little cartoony girls and the intricate frames. I like a bit of fussy-cutting so didn’t mind cutting the frames out by hand, but apparently you can get pre-cut chipboard ones from Prima here. The purple/white polka dot side of the sheet was gorgeous but I didn’t like to waste the front of the sheet so I only used a tiny bit on a couple of the cards (and then bought myself another sheet…) and then used other co-ordinating papers and stamps from my own stash.
I kept the cards simple with only a bit of embellishment here and there. I didn’t feel like mucking about with edging or distressing or anything (it’s too darn hot!). I just bought myself a bottle of Liquid Pearls today and boy, why didn’t I have this stuff before?! It looks awesome and it easier and less fiddly than using adhesive pearls or jewels. Nice!
So I am happy to have made some cards today after the less-than-creative-or-happy week I had last week. Now it’s the start of the working week and I won’t have any time to make any more for days (gasp!) and that makes me sad 😦 But such is life. No workies, no monies for buying paper-craft stuff!
So, I am working on lots of things for this month’s Design Team requirements. I have been able to make a few cards – the Simple Stories paper and stickers are great to use, especially on those days you’re not feeling particularly inspired and just want to make something easy. I don’t generally use stickers on my cards – I don’t like the one-dimensional look of them. They’re so flat and look like stickers, if you know what I mean. So for these projects I stuck them on to card and painstakingly cut them out again so I could use padded tape on the back of them and give them more “oomph” and definition. I like the little snowman – he’s kinda cute. The “Handmade Holidays” sticker sheet is really good value – it has loads on it and you could make a bundle of cards with it (and just a couple of sheets of co-ordinating cardstock or papers). I’m still working on some more cards from those papers so stay tuned…
I’m also using a couple of pieces from the Graphic 45 “Birdsong” range. So pretty! All those cherry blossoms and gorgeous vintage-y Japanese ladies.
I attempted to make an ornate picture frame with a geisha hair pin as decoration. The frame was an ugly little plastic IKEA one I had stored away. It came with it’s own little stand too. I spray painted them both with a high gloss enamel (black) and they came up pretty nice. I also rubbed a little bit of red metallic buffing creme to the edges and details, just to add a bit of contrast and definition.
I agonised over the hair pin – I did have one that a friend brought me back from Japan but I didn’t want to glue that on, I wanted to make my own. So I tried a few different things – chopsticks, skewers, nylon wire and string. In the end I used a cut-down chopstick that I painted a rich crimson colour, added a bead to the end and wound some string (painted black) around it and added some other black and red beads for the “dangly bit”. It didn’t turn out exactly as I wanted…but hopefully it gives people some ideas (that they can then execute better than I have!). Anyway, it makes a change from cards and it shows a different way of using scrapbooking paper.
Now I am starting another project using the Graphic 45’s “Nutcracker Sweet” range – lots of purple and green and sugar plum fairies! But before I attempt anything with those lovely papers, I had better clear up my mess, rediscover my table and plan what I am going to do. Or I could just push everything to one side and work in a little tiny corner of the table like I usually do…that sounds more like me!