Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my! (Animal Jars)

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my! (Animal Jars)

A quick post this evening with a quick and easy craft project.  You may have seen these on other sites (they’re ALL OVER Pinterest at the moment), but they are so easy and satisfyingly fool-proof, you should definitely give them a go.

You need jars (with lids), super glue, spray paint in your desired colour (I used silver chrome) and plastic animals (like the kind kids get in zoo or farm sets, but you can of course use dinosaurs or other creatures). Make sure the glue and paint are suitable for use on plastic.

Start with some nice jars with metal lids – I bought some from $2 stores and other discount places, but you could be good and save jam jars if you plan ahead.  Make sure they are nice and clean, dry and free from any grease or grubby fingerprints (a good idea is to give them a wipe over with a vinegar and water solution and dry them with a clean, lint-free cloth).

Remove the lids and using a strong adhesive (I use Pritt Gel which has apparently changed its name to Pritt All-Pupose) attach the critter of choice onto the top of the lid.  Leave to dry and set (24 hours is usually best to make sure it’s nice and sturdy and won’t break off at the slightest provocation!).

Remove the lid and place on something like an old yoghurt container or similar that will fit inside the rim of the lid (that will enable you to spray evenly all around the lid and not have it stick to whatever it’s sitting on).

Shake your can of spray paint as directed and then have fun coating the lids and critters in an even coating of paint.  Spray-painting is addictive…I kept looking around my house for other things I wanted to paint – I even considered having a chrome-coloured bookcase (haven’t quite given up on that idea yet!).  Leave to dry – doesn’t take long to be touch dry but it’s best to leave for a few hours to make sure it is set and isn’t going to smudge or budge when you handle the lids.  I found that one coat was plenty (with just a tiny bit of touch-up where I had missed spots or underneath the animals).

Put the lids back on the accompanying jars and voila! You have some nifty animal containers for storing bathroom stuff in or to give as gifts (or to give gifts in!).  They’re really cute and amazing in the metallic colours – I am going to do some white ones next.  They’re so easy and the result is very cool and looks more expensive than it actually cost to make them.  Give it a go!

🙂

IMG_0700

IMG_0692 IMG_0693 IMG_0694

Stitches & Glitches

Stitches & Glitches

Well, Roderick the Wonder Guinea Pig has now had his stitches out from his desexing operation.  The plan was to take him to the vets today to have the sutures removed and have him checked over etc.  I was just putting him into his carry box and I had a quick look at “the area” to see if all was as it should be before I took him to the vets.  Good job I looked.  NO STITCHES!  The little bugger must have yanked them out in the last couple of days because they were definitely there before.  He has healed beautifully – I can barely see a scar – and his fur is growing back well.  So all is good.  I guess he got tired of the stitches scratching him or whatever.  I think he’s been really good to leave them in for as long as he did and not chew at them.  So he’s all ready for a wifey – well, in the next couple of weeks.  Gotta wait at least a month after the surgery.  There will be no impregnating on my watch thank you!  Have already picked out a name for the little gal but you’ll have to wait for the official unveiling before I reveal it.  Anyway, I’m just glad my little man is all ok and suffered no ill effects from the surgery.  He’s back to eating everything in sight and running about the place like he owns it.

This month I’ve been working on my “projects” for the Design Team.  We had to use papers from the Melissa Frances range and some pretty ribbon, flowers and plain cardstock.  I can’t say I loved the papers.  They were closer to what I would normally use than some other ranges, but the palette itself was quite pale and, dare I say it, insipid.  As we are only given a few pages, not an entire range with all its different sets and embellishments, ribbons or matching “bits”, we have to just work with what we have and not add too many of our own pieces to it.  This is, of course, so that people wanting to make the same things we have produced won’t be disappointed if the store doesn’t carry some of the materials.  It is hard though and quite limiting but onwards and upwards! (etc).  Here’s the few things I made.  Some I like, some were a bit blah and I struggled through lots of glitches in execution of my ideas…anyway, check them out and see what you think.

“Dolly” Card

“Keep it Together” Peg Set & Tags

Decorated Jar

“Adore” Card (Pretty plain this one but just wanted to use exactly the stuff I’d been given for a quick, simple card)

Altered Book (It turned out kinda ugly.  I just lost the plot while making it…I’m not gonna even show you inside! The cover is sweet enough though…)

So, all in all, I was fairly happy with what I made.  It’s good to be challenged and try new things.  Am hoping next month’s paper pack is something cool.  Now I just have to find my craft room under all the debris and carnage of the last couple of week’s crafting…

Hope Spring is treating you well (if you’re in my part of the world) and that September has been a good month.  It’s been kinda up and down for me so I am looking forward to a fresh start in October.  And a new piggy to add to the family!  🙂