Hello everyone and Happy Hump Day! Aren’t the weeks just flying by? One minute I am whinging about it being Monday, and the next thing I know we’re heading towards the weekend again. It’s a sure sign of getting older – the time slipping by at a rapid pace.
This collage was made using a wooden board from a puzzle. I bought some little wooden puzzles from an op-shop a few weeks ago – they were brand new and still in their plastic wrapping. The puzzle pieces were held in place by the recessed wooden board, and I thought it would make a great “framed” collage piece.
So, I painted the board with black gesso on all sides and tried in vain to remove the label on it that showed the image of the finished puzzle. Gah! Non-removable stickers and labels are the bane of my crafting existence. This one WOULD NOT COME OFF. I didn’t dare to use any kind of label remover, for fear it would leave an oily residue. So, what to do? Desperate times call for desperate measures so, rummaging through my “bits and bobs” box, I found a child’s wooden block that was the perfect size to cover the label. It was painted black and stenciled with the same brick design as the rest of the piece. after completing the collage, I carefully glued the block to the front, over the label, and made sure it was level with the edge of the board, so the board would stand up on its own.
I think it worked out pretty well. The block at the front almost looks like a bit of garden wall, or maybe the top of a chimney, and having the whole piece stand up for display is pretty neat too. I wasn’t sure what words, if any, would suit the theme and so, stuck for ideas, I just used the words “Lost and Found”. I added the little wonky sixpence to tie in with the theme (well, vaguely…) and it was all done.
I will be making more of these pieces, as I bought several of the puzzle sets. It’s great to upcycle things, and the puzzles themselves I have re-thrifted, so they weren’t wasted.
Hope you are all having a good week – thank you for stopping by 🙂